The St. Augustine Education City Committee (SECC) was established in 2011 to guide the development of the St. Augustine Education City (SEC) with specific terms of reference as follows:
- To oversee the establishment of the St. Augustine Education City as an integrated centre for academic excellence;
- To foster the growth of a vibrant service sector linked to the academic community; and
- To coordinate the establishment of a security infrastructure, accommodation for students and transportation service for all students coming into the region.
The St. Augustine Education City
The SEC region spans 12.2 square miles and is bordered by:
- the Northern Range to the North;
- the Caroni River to the South;
- the Uriah Butler Highway to the West; and
- the Orange Grove Road to the East.
The SEC region holds the largest cluster of higher education institutions (HEIs) and the most student populous area nationally; hosting twenty three (23) institutions of higher learning and a total student population of over 39,000. The region is home to the country’s largest and foremost public and private institutions of higher learning including the Arthur Lok Jack Graduate School of Business; the Cipriani College of Labour and Cooperative Studies; the Hugh Wooding Law School; the School of Accounting and Management (SAM) Caribbean; the School of Business and Computer Science; the University of the Southern Caribbean and the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, among other venerable institutions.
These institutions form the backbone of a progressive strategy to stimulate a vibrant service sector and cluster of entrepreneurial business start-ups over the coming years. This existing educational infrastructure within the SEC area is deemed to derive an advantage over other locations in the country as well as regionally; being considered as a premier destination for CARICOM nationals with the influx of further regional students only expected to increase.
The area also includes the following major communities:
- Champ Fleurs
- St. Joseph
- El Dorado